Friday, December 3, 2010

Christmas Cookie time




Christmas is quickly approaching. I'm not fully in the Christmas spirit mode just yet. We've been drowned in Christmas Carols since all the local radio stations started playing them on November 1. But, I can listen to them know without thinking..it's way too early for this stuff!

But...with Christmas comes many reasons to bake! My first cookie related baking social event is this weekend. So many people make the same Christmas cookies. Some oldies are goodies, but I like to try and make something a little different, maybe a little decadent or a little sophisticated. This cookie caught my eye and I love it. It's just a twist on a classic chocolate cookie. Not too messy (I hate going to cookie swaps where people make cookies covered in powdered sugar or super crumbly cookies that barely make it home in a tin). I'm glad to report that this is a durable, decadent cookie..perfect for a swap or to mail or bring to work. I give you Rolo cookies....

I nabbed a couple bags of rolos and made Mr. Allan assist me in the unwrapping


Here they are fresh out of the oven. This recipe gives you nice, uniform cookies that look good on a plate since they're all similiar in size.


A close up of these bad boys
Rolo Cookies
(adapted from Recipezaar.com)

2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs

48 rolos chocolate-covered caramel candies



Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Cream butter and sugars. Add egg and vanilla.
Sift together dry ingredients. Slowly add to batter.
Take 1 Rolo candy and form a ball of dough around it. Roll softy in hands and place on cookie sheet.
bake for 10 minutes.

2 comments: