Tuesday, December 14, 2010

reverb10 December 14 Prompt

December 14 Prompt

Prompt: Appreciate. What's the one thing you have come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude for it?

I have come to appreciate my health this past year. My stepfather passed away after an almost two year battle with cancer. It was difficult to see a reasonably healthy man struggle with such a devastating disease. It really boggles my mind how many people don't appreciate the body that they're given and take care of it. In our great country of the U.S.A., people treat their pets, cars and material possessions better than they take care of themselves.

I struggle and nag Mr. Allan to get to the doctors. If his car needs an oil change, we clear a day for that, we take the cats to the vet every year and follow their orders, but I can't get my own husband to go and keep regular annual appointments at the doctor and dentist.

It also drives me a bit batty that most people eat such crap. I hate seeing obese kids that have obese parents who shovel packaged, processed foods and think nothing of fast food on a regular basis into their mouths. God gave you one body, you should take care of it, nurture it, exercise it. I truly don't think overweight people understand the damage they are doing to their body. If last year's New Year's Resolution was to lose 25 lbs and you didn't achieve that goal, you should take a hard look at your lifestyle. Someday, you might be facing a terrible disease that takes control over your body and you would do absolutely anything for another month, week, or day. So, take control and nourish your body, celebrate your health while you have it!

and for those that are reading this thinking...wah wah wah...I don't have time to go to the gym, I don't have the money to eat healthy. If you're on your butt in front of a tv or computer, shut it off and lose a premium channel or two or even your dvr and there's your solution.

How do I express gratitude for it? I take care of myself. I eat healthy, real, foods. I exercise. My body needs it to stay strong and healthy and I embrace that. I have this one body for the rest of my life. I will not be trapped and held prisoner by being overweight. I won't damage my joints and bones from carrying around tons of excess weight. I won't damage my organs by suffocating them in layers of fat. Why? because I want to be around for a very long time!




No comments:

Post a Comment