Thursday, December 9, 2010

Reverb10

What is it? It's an online initiative created to help people reflect on the year past and look to the new year and what it will hold. I guess you could kind of call a big opportunity to reflect on the last 12 months and think about what the next 12 will hold from you. Here's the story behind Reverb10. Reverb10 I'm a few days late, so here are my reflections for days 1-9 so far...

December 1 - One Word.



Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?

If I could nutshell 2010 in one word it would be fulfilling. This was our first full year of marriage. Mr. Allan and I are fortunate to be in a strong, healthy relationship. I love every day I get with him. We have a home, we have careers and jobs we enjoy and we have each other. 2010 was a year of settling down, paying off some bills, letting the wedding hoop-la of the previous year die down and overall it was a very fulfilling year.

December 2 - Writing.



What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?
Ummmm..work gets in the way of blogging, but I have to do that! Otherwise Mr. Allan and I wouldn't eat. But, I could cut down on my reality tv addiction, but it has gotten better with Tivo, now that I can watch 4 hours of crap tv in just one. I do wander aimlessly around the Internet, Facebook, message boards, and blog browsing could be converted into spending some more time on my thoughts vs. reading others.

December 3 – Moment.

Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors).
It was October 4, 2010, my one year wedding anniversary with Mr. Allan. Mr. Allan had been on constant travel leading up to our anniversary. We thought about a big trip to get away but just didn't have the luxury of taking time off. Instead, we took a night away in a coastal town in CT. My favorite moment of our trip was waking up late on Monday, October 4. We had a fabulous dinner out the night before and a hike earlier in the day. We slept in late in our hotel room. We ordered in room service for breakfast. We took out of champagne flutes from our wedding and made mimosas. Then, it came time to check out. We loaded our bags in the car. But, before we left, we walked down to the water. The day was chilly and windy, the type of wind that whips your hair in your face and you can barely speak its blowing so hard. We walked along a wooden boardwalk that ran along the ocean. The water was gray-ish blue with tons of whitecaps. Seagulls were flying around skimming the water looking for food. We stopped at the edge of the boardwalk and we each had a piece of paper folded in our hands. Mr. Allan and I held one of each other's hands and we unfolded the paper that had our vows that we exchanged one year ago exactly. Standing on the edge of the dock, listening to the waves crash and with the wind somewhat fiercely blowing, we once again exchanged our vows that we had written. We did it in the same manner that we did on our wedding day, with me reading a vow, then Mr. Allan reading a vow. This is a special tradition that we will do on every single wedding anniversary we will have together and my absolute positively favorite memory of 2010.

December 4 – Wonder.

How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year.
hmmm...this prompt has me stumped. While I look at 2010 as fulfilling year, I'm not sure how I cultivated any wonder..it's making me feel somewhat mediocre in a way! (I do realize I'm completely not answering this prompt...so to be continued!)

December 5 – Let Go.

What (or whom) did you let go of this year? Why?
I let go of being a person who needed stuff. If I had a bad day, was feeling less than stellar about myself, or just needed a pick me up, my answer was to go to the mall and buy myself something. I can't get over how much stuff I used to buy. I'd think nothing about spending my last $50 on a new shirt from Ann Taylor after I convinced myself that I needed it. I was one needy chick because I had a closet full of useless buys. Why did I let go of this habit...mostly because when I got married Mr. Allan laid down the law and took away all my credit cards after I got scolded for having useless debt that was bringing us down (you know I love you for this Mr. A). Hands down the best thing he could have ever down. It's amazing what you think you need and want are really things you never needed or typically really wanted that bad.

December 6 – Make.

What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?
the last thing I made was chicken tettrazini casserole...I believe that counts! I used chicken, whole wheat pasta, peas, cremini mushrooms, and some lowfat sour cream. I almost did a nutty because I didn't have any chicken broth but quickly made a good substitution for it! The next thing I want to make is a nice wedding and honeymoon album of all our beautiful pictures. It seems like a daunting task I keep putting off and desperately need to clear a few hours a night to tackle it.

December 7 – Community.

Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?
outside of my family, I feel like I have alot of different little communities that I hang with. I have a great work community, with co-workers I consider friends who make our somewhat crazy jobs bearable. I have my little gym community. It might sound dorky, but I love going to the gym and working out and having my little 5pm power yoga friend I talk to before class each night. I have an online community full of RI women I met while planning my wedding (shout out to my fellow Rhooser's). Some of those ladies I've become real life friends with. All these little outside communities keep me going and represent a different area in my life that I enjoy.

December 8 – Beautifully Different.

Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful.
I think alot of things make me different and likable. At first, I think I'm a bit of a guarded person. I'm not instant BFF's with people. Once I  let them in, I believe I'm a very generous person to my friends. I think I'm a good, sarcastic, funny story teller. If i'm friends with someone, I'm an open book, the good, the bad, and the ugly..which is usually the stuff people are thinking and don't want to say aloud, that I like to verbalize for people. I like to joke with others, I think I have a good sense of humor and I like to socialize and meet new people.

December 9 – Party

Prompt: Party. What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans.
There was a wedding that all my friends went to this year. I loved this night because all of our friends were gathered together again. My friends that had children, who I don't see much were out and about and our good old group of Newport friends were together again. The liquor was flowing and I just remember it being a giddy fun night with lots of shenanigans. Flowers in a donkey statute's butt, a pyramid during dinner, a light up flamingo, dancing with my best friend, and tons of silly silly, probably borderline immature stuff. But, I can't remember laughing as hard as I did that night all year long!










No comments:

Post a Comment