Thursday, December 23, 2010

Cookie Questions...

So, after I posted about my Day O Baking...

Day O Baking Post

I got a couple emails and questions about my reviews of the different cookies and what was a hit and what was a miss.

So, here are some more details and reactions to the cookies I blogged about, baked, and ate.

Rolo Cookies- these cookies are always a hit. People want to know how you got the caramel in there. When you tell them it's a Rolo candy, they usually ask if you smooshed it in there or cut it in half. These cookies are a hit with me because they have a little wow, how did you do that reaction and are super easy to make on the baking scale of difficult. They also last for a good amount of time. So they're a great cookie swap choice.

Espresso Thumbprints- These also get alot of wow, those are good, what's in the middle? One thing I add to this recipe is a tablespoon of Starbucks liquor. I'm an espresso martini and coffee lover, so I love these. They're not too difficult to make. The recipe may seem a bit involved, but it's do-able.

Banana Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies- this recipe is from Martha Stewart's Cookie cookbook. I like this recipe for a number of reasons. It's a nice twist on a chocolate chip cookie. Most chocolate chip cookies are flat, thinner cookies. This cookie, with the oats and whole wheat flour, is a very cakey cookie. It doesn't flatten out like your average chocolate chip cookie. The banana keeps the batter nice and moist. I always add the nuts, along with the banana and chocolate, it makes the cookie.

Gingerbread Blondies- I loved these. I love the smell of this cookie. When I think of gingerbread, I think of a hard gingersnap or a gingerbread man cookie which is typically a really hard cookie. These blondies were the opposite, cakelike and buttery. I almost think this recipe was a little too heavy handed on the butter, next time I might cut it down a bit. These aren't an impressive looking cookie/bar. They're the least prettiest of the cookies and typically were the last ones left in the tins. I'm basing it on their looks alone, since I thought the taste was awesome!

PB Kisses- these are okay cookies. I think it's the novelty of the cookie that keeps me making it every year. It's not overly decadent or delicious, it just reminds me of school Christmas parties when I was little in the 2nd grade and reminds me of childhood. I think most generally enjoy the cookies and eat them.

Cranberry Orange Cookies- I wanted to try something new. I'm always heavy handed on the chocolate ones, so I tried to find something else. I've made the White Chocolate Craisin cookies before (the recipe on the back of the Craisin package). They're okay, but I wanted something a little fancier. I found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com. It looked pretty involved, but when you get down to it, it's basically a dough with some orange juice and zest. The icing was easy to make with juice and powdered sugar and I think they added a different taste to the cookie tins.

Enjoy..any questions, shoot me an email at becomingmrsallan@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment