Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sweet Potato and Black Bean burritos, tacos, or quesadillas

I eat kind of strange meals when Mr. Allan is gone. Usually, I make a one pot meal that I can tweak into a different dishes and eat all week..I do this mostly because I'm sort of lazy when I'm alone and don't meal plan like I do when Mr. Allan is around. My confession...I've eaten Kashi Go Lean cereal for at least 1 meal every single day for the past 10 days...there were a couple days in there where it was two meals and maybe even the only thing I ate all day...

So, here's a little meal I threw together that has become a favorite of ours. I love the combination of roasted sweet potatoes, beans and a couple Mexican like spices. I also love the combo of the sweet potatoes and beans because it keeps me so full...something that is key for meals I make since I am a food grazer all day long....I won't even be hungry yet find my head in the pantry wondering what I can snack on just because...so a meal that fills me is so important!

So...this was a total kitchen sink meal...a day where I have nothing planned and pretty much comb the fridge and cupboards looking for ideas...

First, I took 2 sweet potatoes. I washed them and cut them into 1/2 inch cubes. I roasted them with a tiny bit of olive oil on a cookie sheet for 20 minutes or so at 425 degrees

I then diced an onion and sauteed it in a tsp of olive oil. I then added 2 tsp of chili powder and 1 tsp of cumin


I had pretty random stuff in the fridge...I chopped some cilantro, chopped some lettuce and cut up a tomato for my burrito filling. I also used some salsa and some Chobani plain non fat greek yogurt. This acted as my sour cream since it was all the fridge had to offer



I love these Ezekial wraps for many reasons. First, they come frozen and thaw out in 20 minutes. So, I can keep them in the freezer and take out 2 and still have some frozen. I hate buying a package of tortilla shells where we use 2 maybe 3 and the rest sit there and eventually go moldy on me. Plus..I LOVE Ezekial products. When I followed Tosca Reno's Eating Clean plan last year, I gravitated towards all Ezekial products because they're made with sprouted grain without other additives and chemicals you find in regular tortillas.


I then added a can of black beans. I rinsed and drained them and added them right to the onion. By this time, the sweet potatoes were done. I added them to the mix and voila...my taco, burrito, quesadilla filling. I've made them all with this filling.

Here's my naked sweet potato and black bean burrito

Here he is all dressed up ready to be rolled


I got three meals out of this. One day I had burritos, the next day I took 2 Ezekial shells, a tiny bit of shredded cheese and threw it in the oven to make a quesadilla. I stink at flipping them in the frying pan..so that's why I opt for the oven. Then, I just ate the filling by itself one night to finish it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment