Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Pesto Making time

my garden is about done. I pulled up most of the plants this weekend and have a lone pepper plant that's still producing, ok, it's really hanging on for dear life and has a baby pepper that I'm convinced will grow into something fantastic..so I spared it from life in the compost bin!

I also picked the rest of my herbs. I got a fair amount of basil and had a Pesto Making day time to stock up for the winter.

I've tried many pesto recipes...I don't like it too oily, I'm not a fan of too many pignoli nuts and I like my garlic. So, here's what i've ended up with. My perfect chunky pesto. If I know I'm making a huge batch or doubling this recipe, I cut down on the oil. Then, when i defrost my perfect chunky pesto and throw it in some pasta, I add a little extra olive oil then.

Here's what I started off what...a buttload of pesto and threw in some garlic (don't panic..the recipe will follow my purty pics)


After some chopping in my Kitchen Aid food processor (a most perfect birthday gift from Mr. Allan one year)...



Here's a batch portioned into 5 little containers ready to pop in the freezer. Yes, those are little smiling Halloween pumpkins on my gladware. Be smart and buy this crap the day after a holiday at Target when it's 50% off....I make my Mom proud!


So, what do I do with my pesto? My favorite thing is to just add it to whole wheat pasta, maybe add some chicken and some vegetables. I also previously posted a fabulous scallop recipe from this summer!

Here's the recipe for Perfect Chunky Pesto



  • 3 cups fresh basil leaves




  • 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts




  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled




  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese




  • 3/4 cup olive oil




  • salt and pepper to taste




  • Throw it into your food processor and mix! Well, start off with the basil and garlic and pulse. Add the walnuts, then stream in the olive oil. I then add the salt and pepper and cheese!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment