Saturday, October 30, 2010

Marth failed me.

I love Martha Stewart. She's got all these great ideas, she's so crafty, she looks like she cooks a mean meal and she's approaching 70 and looks absolutely fabulous.

I have her cookbooks, her household tips book, and have used tons of recipes.

This week, I bought her LIVING magazine..something I normally don't do because I like the foody side of Martha better than the homey refinish furniture and make wreaths side of Martha.

In this month's LIVING there was a recipe for a pumpkin cream pie that looked fantastic. I thought..how smart of Martha and her minions...they took a classic, gave it a twist and it looked so good. The crust was made of gingersnaps and I decided to give it a test run to see if it was good enough to make the Allan Thanksgiving menu.

I gave it a whirl Thursday night and thought I'd slice Mr. Allan a piece and then bring in the pie for my trusty opinionated co workers to try. I'm a pretty avid baker and cook. I like to think I know a couple tricks in the kitchen and get around pretty well. So, everything went according to plan, crust made, pie in the fridge. Martha said it needed to set for 4 hours and it'd be ready to go.

Unfortunately Martha lied. This pie was a disaster. The filling never set. This is the pie after 36 hours in the refrigerator.

It was pumpkin soup in a very nice gingersnap crust. I had to pour the pie into the trash this morning as my cat tried to get at it and have a bite. He was the only one out of the family brave enough to give it a try. I did sneak a piece of crust...I'll give Martha that..the crust was excellent..such a cute twist and a little different from your flaky crust or graham cracker crust.

Well...I'm opinionated and if it's something I'm not satisfied with, I say it. So, of course I ran to Martha's website to speak my mind. I'm glad to see others had issues with this setting as well. I think the problem came with Martha's instruction in the recipe to use 2 cups of milk, a can of pumpkin etc. 2 cups of milk was way to much for a 9 inch pie. She said to cook the filling for 2 minutes until it bubbled in the middle. Mine was watery and I cooked for about 10 minutes to thicken it up....and it still was a watery mess.

Recipe and my comments :)

Sorry Martha. Your pumpkin cream pie recipe sucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment