Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Pie First!....lemon meringue...

I had two very nice co workers who took some time off of work and came and helped me out today. Mr. Allan has had a crazy, hectic, I'm gone 3 out of the 4 weeks of the month travel schedule the past 6 months. Just when I thought the traveling would die down as the holidays approached, it of course take a turn in the other direction and he's off here and there again.

So, when my co workers heard me complain about my beautiful new fridge that has this neat water filtration system and ice maker that I can't use because it's not hooked to a water line, they pitched in, took a good old Rhody road trip and came to the nether regions of our small state to help me out.

All they asked for in exchange for their generosity....some pie and beer. So, why not test run another Turkey day pie???

Next on my list to tackle was something that's been taunting me...lemon meringue pie. I was very intimidated...I've had many lemon meringues with weepy sloppy meringue, runny fillings, and a weird layer of liquid between the meringue and the filling. So, even though I anoint myself this great little baker/lawyer...I was very scared that the lemon meringue pie would kick my baking ass.

So, I searched and searched for recipes...they all kind of seem the same to me. I found one on my favorite site...www.allrecipes.com...I've been going there since Martha Stewart put that crappy Pumpkin Cream Pie in her magazine.  I found one, it worked, and the co workers seemed to enjoy it! They had their pie and I have a fridge that dispenses water and ice! It's really one of the most exciting things that has happened this fall!

So..here are a couple shots of the pie....the recipe follows. Another big thanks to my co workers and my apologies about my bad male cat who made a scene...he doesn't like strangers which should make Thanksgiving even more interesting!




The last picture was my teaser pic...the pie waiting in my fridge!

I read alot of comments made about this recipe. I put * of changes made!

Grandma's Lemon Meringue Pie
(adapted from allrecipes.com)

Ingredients

Filling



1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water * (I used 1 1/2 cups skim milk to make a creamy filling)
2 lemons, juiced and zested  * (I used the juice of 3 lemons, which was 1/2 cup and 1 TBSP of zest)
2 tablespoons butter
4 egg yolks, beaten
1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
 
Meringue
 4 egg whites * (I used 6 egg whites)
 6 tablespoons white sugar
* I also added 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar and 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
 
Directions


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

To Make Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked pastry shell.

To Make Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.

Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.
 
Just my tips and Notes!
 
1- Bake your crust first! I almost forgot to!
 
2- Make your meringue before you start your filling. You want to put your filling in a warm pie crust and the meringue needs to be put on immediately onto the  hot filling to adhere to the filling and not create a weird layer of liquid that will separate your meringue and filling.
 
3- You need to constantly stir your filling. It took me a good 15 minutes to get a thick filling. Be patient..if your filling doesn't thicken, it's not going to thicken while you bake the pie or refrigerate it after.
 
4- I baked for 13-15 minutes. I don't think the 10 minutes recommended was enough!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment