Monday, April 19, 2010

Some Weighty Issues

What's my dirty little secret?

I used to be a lot bigger than I am now. Sometimes it's weird to tell people. Like, hey, 5 years ago, I weighed 50 lbs more than I do now. I was born at 9lbs 11oz and steadily gained weight since that day up until I was 25 or so. I was a big kid in elementary school, an awkward fat kid in middle school, and a big athletic girl in high school, and pretty chunky in college and law school.

When I took the bar exam in the summer of 2003, diet and exercise was the last thing on my mind and I hit an all time high. Around 2004-2005, I just got sick of it. I went to Weight Watchers and signed up. Every Tuesday night I'd go to this run down VFW hall in Middletown, RI and wait for the AA meeting to let out. I'd grab my booklet, get weighed in and then sit and hang out for a 20 minute meeting. On the way home, I'd call my mom and dad and tell them how much weight I lost, like the big dork I am.

5 months late, I was around 30 lbs down, by summer I was in a bikini.

It seems so long ago. But, the memories of being so uncomfortable in my own skin are quite familiar.

Just for sh*ts and giggles..here are some old school before and after pics!


The one on the left was a Florida vacation that Bill and I took in October of 2004. The funny thing was, I never thought I was fat. I was a big girl, but I could fit into clothes. We got our pictures back and I nearly died. Not to mention...I wish I had a good friend that told me I needed a better bra.

The one of the left was taken in September 2005. We went to Vegas to celebrate my college roommate's wedding. I'll never forget--my roommate's mom, who I met numerous times, didn't recognize me.

The battle continues. Sometimes I think maintaining is harder than losing it all!

I'm glad to report that I lost that weight about 5 years ago. For the most part, I've kept it off, although it seems like every day is a battle. It's funny how when I was overweight, I never thought I was that fat. But, looking back on it, I thought nothing about downing icecream, Wendy's, desserts, and candy..you name it. So, while I'm glad i'm not the fat girl anymore, it's really become more about being healthy and taking care of myself. So, put the soda down, drink some water and get your butt outside for some good ole exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment