Tuesday, May 11, 2010

It's Summer Salad time

Summer is in the air. My flip flops are out, the first pedicure of the season has already occurred, and the lawn furniture is out ready to be put on the deck. It's not officially summer, but for those New Englander's like myself who hate winter...the first sign of spring means whip out your tube tops, daisy dukes, and flip flops because summer is on it's way.

This week's recipe that got raves....a Greek style summer bean salad.

Mixed with the dressing before I topped it with feta in my bowl



Ready for me to eat



Greek Style Summer Bean Salad

1 Red Pepper, washed and diced
1 Green Pepper, washed and diced
1/2 of a cucumber, sliced and quartered
1 can chick peas rinsed and drained
10 Kalamata Olives, chopped or sliced
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
Crumbled feta cheese to top

Chop all vegetables and place in a glass bowl. Rinse and drain chickpeas and add. Chop olives and add. Mix oil and vinegar and mix well. I refrigerate for about 24 hours to let the vinagrette really soak into the veggies. Top with feta and serve.

Just a tip-- I only top the individual servings with feta. I did throw the feta in and mix it, but the oil and vinegar mixed with the feta after it sits for a while--well it looks a little milky and gross and takes away from all the nice colors of the veggies in this salad.

Also--Athenos makes some great feta cheese--some flavored. I used a lemon and garlic feta. You use such a small amount I splurged on regular vs. a low fat plain one.

S-U-P-E-R easy to make and healthy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment