Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Arugla, Prosciutto and Fig Pizza

It might not look like much...but this was one kick ass pizza. I've been on a big pizza kick ever since I found this pizza crust

I buy my Top This pizza crusts at Whole Foods and Dave's Marketplace here in RI. I like these because they're already grilled..all you have to do is heat them up. I throw them on my pizza stone with my pizza toppings and they're done in 10-12 minutes. Also...the nutritional value on these is pretty good...1/4 of the pizza crust has 130 calories and 1 gram of fat. My favorite..the whole wheat. Check them out at www.topthispizzacrusts.com

But...onto my creation last night....this is a whole wheat Top This pizza crust with gorgonzola cheese, figs, prosciutto and arugula. I thought it was pretty fabulous. I took some figs, sliced them up and threw them in a bowl with some balsamic vinegar. I let them sit for about an hour while I got distracted from cooking dinner..probably for something important like the latest episode of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.

I took my pizza crust and covered it with a small container of gorgonzola cheese. I baked it at 450 degrees for 12 minutes.  Once out of the oven, I placed the balsamic soaked figs on top. I then put fresh slices of prosciutto over the figs. I took a bunch of arugula..washed it, then tossed it with some olive oil (only a little bit..maybe a tsp or two) and also some balsamic vinegar. I topped the pizza with the arugula.


I loved the tangy taste of the cheese, the sweetness of the figs and the peppery taste of the arugula made for a pretty nice combo. The only thing I'd do differently next time...maybe cut up my slices of prosciutto. I just threw them on there..if you got a bite of prosciutto, it was a mouthful!

No comments:

Post a Comment