Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Carribean Sweet Potato Salad

I've become a huge fan of sweet potates. Not that white ones are bad, but the sweet ones are just too good to eat the white kind anymore.

So, my task last week was to find a sweet potato salad recipe. My one requirement--that it have no mayo in it. I hate mayonnaise. Unless it's well disguised, I try not to touch the stuff.

My task at hand was successfully completed. I found this recipe and at first, stuck my nose up at it a bit. The ingredients, well, the list just didn't go together. But, being adventurous as I am, I said what the heck, let's give it a whirl. I'm glad I did.

I give you Carribean Sweet Potato Salad courtesy of http://www.allrecipes.com/





Mrs Allan's Notes: I skipped out on the russet potato. I used 3 medium to large sized sweet potatoes. I also omitted the red onion. I have a weird hatred for raw red onion.


Ingredients


1 large russet potato, peeled and quartered
1 large sweet potato, peeled and quartered
1 cup corn
1 teaspoon prepared Dijon-style mustard
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cucumber, halved lengthwise and chopped
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced 1/4 cup finely chopped peanuts

Directions


Place the Russet potato pieces into a large saucepan, and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil, turn the heat down, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the sweet potato, and cook about 15 minutes more. Remove a piece of each potato, and cut it in half to see if it is cooked enough. Once the potatoes are tender, add corn kernels; cook another 30 seconds. Drain through a colander. Fill the saucepan with cold water, and drop vegetables into water. Cool for 5 minutes, and drain.

In a large bowl, whisk together mustard, lime juice, cilantro, and garlic. Slowly whisk in oil. Mix in salt and black pepper.

Cut cooled potatoes into 1 inch cubes, and add to dressing along with cucumber, and red onion. Toss well. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Toss the peanuts in just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment