Sunday, June 27, 2010

Good Summer Reads

June has been a crazy month. Mr. Allan has been gone on business travel for about 90% of the month. This was one of the first weekends we were allowed to kick back and relax. The sink holes are gone from our pool, the weather is beautiful, the flowers are blooming, and all the hard work in the yard has paid off.

While I lounged by the pool this weekend I finished a novel and started a new one. I'm always on the hunt for some good books..especially bring to the beach worthy books.

Here are some of my picks!




I have the attention span of a gnat. I heard some rave reviews about this book. I grabbed it and started it in April. I read maybe 35 pages and thought..what's the big deal about this book? I stuck it out and am so glad i did! I LOVED this book. It wasn't fluffy chick lit that sometimes makes me feel not smart. I'm hooked and so excited there's a movie coming out as well!!!


If you don't want to read a book that will take you the whole summer..than this series might be for you. After finishing The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, I needed a small breather. I love Janet Evanovich books. They go in numeric order, starting with One for The Money. I read them intermittently. A couple made it on the honeymoon to Hawaii. They're quick reads, and I love the main character, Stephanie Plum. I also love that there's a new one coming out every few months, so it's something easy to pick up anytime and keep going with the series.



Ok. I'll be honest. I hadn't heard about this book in any book review or intelligent publication. I was reading US magazine and saw a picture of Sarah Jessica Parker holding this book. It caught my eye because I thought it might be a self help book. I did some research and found it at Barnes and Noble and decided to pack it away for a read while I was in Hawaii in the fall. It turned out to be an excellent read. A 4H club Southern girl exposes the secrets and stories behind the Help in the 1960's in Mississippi. The stories are from the maids and nannies from that time and in that area make it an excellent read. So, US magazine is useful is certain situations.

And...just because I finished it today....



So good. I didn't think it would..but it topped the first one. I raved about it so much that Mr. Allan has picked up The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo after I assured him it wasn't a girly book.

Happy reading and don't forget your sunblock at the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment