Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Gender Reveal Party....It's A.....

This past weekend we had our parents and siblings over for a little Father's Day BBQ/ Find out Baby Allan's Gender Party. I kept hearing more and more about gender reveal parties..I'm guessing they're all the rage nowadays and I decided to hop on the bandwagon. Our reason for having one was mostly based on the fact that the majority of our family doesn't live close by. I don't have the luxury of asking my mom to tag along for an appointment and sometimes a month or two goes by without either of us seeing our parents. So, we figured it would be a fun way for our immediate family to share in a very exciting moment with us! I know some people kind of side eye the idea of parties like this. If I invited the world, sent out invitations, and made this huge spectacle out of it, you'd have my permission to side eye. But, with only our immediate family there..we figured we could have a little fun with it! I'd also like to give a big shout out to myself and Mr. Allan...because it was quite the Herculean effort to know that we could have found out the sex a week before the actual little soiree at our house. I'm quite proud of us and pat myself on the back for not ripping open that envelope!

First up...our little table scape...You might think I'm super creative...but I completely stole a couple of these ideas courtesy of the lovely website Pinterest! We had cake pops, blue and pink chocolate covered strawberries, pretzels, and specially themed Hershey bars.

My home made cake pops..I'd love to know the secret of getting them perfectly round and not having them shaped like meatballs.

Hershey bars...colored in the He and She with some Sharpies!

This one was on my favorite projects. I grabbed these mini chalkboards at AC Moore, painted them with some acrylic paints, and then glued our own Scrabble tiles on with a hot glue gun. The glue flicked right off afterwards, so our Scrabble game was salvageable! All our guests had to cast their vote on what Baby Allan would be!

The cake...it took a bit of explaining...but the Pastry Gourmet (located In Cumberland, RI and Wickford, RI) came through for us! They managed to not ruin the surprise by just looking at it and it was beyond good sugary bakery cake..my favorite kind!

Moving the party outside....

I hope our little girl doesn't hold this against me. I wore blue to represent my guess...and as you can see it, my vote was BOY! Mr. Allan and I were completely convinced we were having a boy...to the point where we referred to the baby as "he" and "Junior" and were only discussing boy names.

So you can imagine how flabbergasted we were to cut into that cake and see PINK frosting on the inside!!!

We had to yank out a piece, blink and rub our eyes, and then it started to settle in...

Not that we didn't trust the bakery...but the next step was to rip open the envelope from my doctor's office!

the proud parents to be...

Overall, this was such a great afternoon! I hope our families enjoyed it as much as we did! I was excited that all the little touches came together and that everyone really got into it!

Just a shout out to my sister who launched the contest for who Baby Allan's favorite aunt will be with this..

and I must say my mom got Mr. Allan a pretty funny Father's Day gift...

It's been a couple days and I think the idea of a little girl is finally starting to sink in a bit! I'm one of 3 girls..so girls is all I know..and I have no doubt that this little one will be a Daddy's girl all the way!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! All your food and decorations turned out so cute! I have to admit I was asked by several family members if we were going to do a reveal party and I just didn't have the energy... In the end they got phone calls.

    ReplyDelete